VIEQUES FERRY TICKETS SERVICES
In this article you will learn about the Vieques Ferry operation and also how you can pre-buy your tickets online.
Maritime transportation to Vieques ferry is provided by an agency of the Puerto Rico government called “Autoridad de Transporte Marítimo” or ATM, a branch of the DTOP Department. The ATM uses two types of boats to provide transportation to and from Vieques. One type is the cargo boat which locals call “ferry”, the second type is the passenger boat which locals call “lancha”. When speaking to a local about passenger transportation make sure he/she understands you are not referring to cargo transportation when you use the word “Vieques ferry”.
NOW FROM OCTOBER 30 We HAVE A GREAT LUCK! external company runs trips from Ceiba to Vieques and Culebra, it works good, on time, and is only 30 min to Vieques and 45 min to Culebra. FAST CATAMARANS.
Bad news is , cargo ferry for cars is still running for the ATM.
The difference between a “ferry” and a “lancha” is that the “ferry” can take vehicles along with passengers. “Lanchas” can only take passengers. Because most of the “ferry” space is for vehicles consecuenty they can take fewer passengers than the “lanchas”. Another difference is that “ferries” usually take longer than “lanchas” to traverse the same distance because of the weight they carry, which also usually makes them more stable and causes them to bounce around less with big waves. But since most “lanchas” are broken, ATM is using only ferries between Ceiba and Vieques in a consolidated schedule.
VIEQUES FERRY TICKETS SCHEDULE (DAYLY)
Ceiba-Vieques :6:30 am / 9:30 am / 2:30 pm / 4:30 pm
Vieques- Ceiba : 7:45 am / 10:45 am / 3:30 pm /5:30 pm
Ceiba- Culebra : 6 am / 10:30 am / 3 pm
Culebra-Ceiba : 7:15 am / 12 pm/ 4:45 pm
NOTE: Even with a ticket on hand you need to get to the port at least 30-45 minutes early. Therefore If you are planning on traveling on the first ferry on Saturday mornings towards Vieques or Culebra or the Sunday mid-day ferry back from Vieques or Culebra to Ceiba, either get to the harbor several hours ahead or buy your tickets before hand and get to harbor at least 1 hour ahead.
If you are returning to the International Airport in San Juan by ferry, allow yourself a minimum of 6 hours from the scheduled ferry departure time in Vieques to your flight departure time in San Juan.
You need to get to the International Airport at least 2 hours ahead. Ferry time is 30 min or more depending on vessel. Travel time from Ceiba to San Juan: 1 hr 15 min in good traffic.
VIEQUES FERRY CARGO
- A great vacation in Vieques requires planning ahead if you intend on bringing a car from Puerto Rico. Vieques ferry system requires a reservation be made ahead of time for vehicles because very few spaces are left for stand-by. If you are renting a car in Puerto Rico, check with your car rental agent before attempting to bring it to Vieques. You run the risk not being able to bring it back to Puerto Rico due to ferry problems. A round trip car transportation fee on the Vieques ferry for a medium size car or truck is $35(this fee includes the drivers ticket). WWW.VIEQUESFERRYTICKETS.COM
Visiting Vieques ? Get the tickets at www.viequesferrytickets.com
Vieques Ferry Ride
Ride Length – The ride generally takes about 30 minutes with fast catamaran (From October 2018). Time may vary upon the boat you board and the weather conditions.
Sea sickness – Boat is stable but depending on the weather the boat may get a little rocky. If you suffer from sea sickness, sit on the middle seats where you’ll feel less motion. Speak to your doctor about a prescription or over the counter medication before your trip to prevent sea sickness.
The boats are air conditioned, there’s no outside seating or standing on the cargo ferry boat.
Facilities at the Ferry Terminal
- At the terminal there are vending machines, restrooms (bring toilet paper / wipes and hand sanitiser), and ATM’s. After you get your tickets, you may want to buy ice cream or snacks right across from the ferry terminal.
- If you have a handicap, there’s special seating so you don’t have to wait in line, just ask a security person.
Pros of Traveling by Ferry to Vieques
- The ride and scenery is scenic.
- Great way to travel with a group.
- Cheap price.
Cons of Traveling by Ferry to Vieques
- Traveling by ferry requires more planning and at times patience, however if weather is right and all ferry boats are in good working condition, you should not have any problems. If you get the tickets earlier at www.viequesferrytickets.com you won’t have problems.
- The ferry system is not perfect, there have been many frequent issues over the past years.
- If you’re a tourist, residents of Vieques get preference on tickets to Vieques.
- On holidays and weekends be prepared to wait inline for a looooong time unless you get the tickets on www.viequesferrytickets.com
Tips for Using the Ferry to Vieques, Puerto Rico
- Give yourself at least 2 hours to get to Fajardo if you’re driving from San Juan to be safe especially if you’re driving during high traffic times.
- The morning ferry sells out the quickest, be sure to call ahead to reserve your tickets. www.viequesferrytickets.com
- High Season is from December to April and summers when Puerto Ricans from the mainland head to the offshore islands. Holiday weekends are really busy, get here early just in case you have to wait for the next departure time.
- Arriving the ferry dock with a booked reservation with www.viequesferrytickets.com? – When you get to the dock, if you already have a reservation and you got your tickets you don’t have to stand in the long line.
- If you can’t get on the ferry or don’t wish to wait you can drive to nearby Ceiba Airport and catch a flight to Vieques. Be sure to call for availability of flights and schedules. Be sure to read the Vieques Flights Guide.
Fees for the Cargo Ferry (Difficult to get, need at least 15 days in advance, reservation must be in person in Fajardo Office) Do not try to put the car on the ferry the same day, you ar not going to be able to do that. (Or if you are able, you are not going to be able to have a space back for the car)
- One way medium car or truck $29
- Driver’s fee Included
- Passengers fees $2 per person
Documents Needed For Vehicles
- Driver’s License
- Vehicle Registration Plate
Reservations (ONLY PASSENGERS NOT CARS)
Reservations are based on availability.
Cargo Ferry Schedules for Cars
Please Note: You will need a reservation for the cargo ferry. Be sure to arrive to the dock at least an hour before departure time, and at least on hour and a half on weekends and holidays.
Vieques to Ceiba Cargo Ferry Schedule (OPERATED BY ATM)
6am , 11am, 3pm, 6:30pm
Ceiba to Vieques Cargo Ferry Schedule
4am, 9am, 1pm, 4:45pm, 8:15pm
Frequently asked questions about the Vieques ferry service
Can we make reservations for the Vieques ferry?
You may purchase tickets ahead of time at www.viequesferrytickets.com. Be sure to arrive to the dock at least 45 min before if you have the ferry tickets. Tourists, we want you to have a good experience getting to Vieques, do yourself a favor and completely avoid taking the ferry without getting the tickets on www.viequesferrytickets.com on July weekends and holiday weekends / weeks.
July is high season for main land residents and they love heading to Vieques and Culebra, locals typically get to the terminal even a day / night before, we have asked people and some have waited up to 15 hours to get a ticket to the offshore islands, please fly instead.
If you are taking a vehicle, reservations are required for the Cargo Ferry. You have to go in person to Fajardo terminal
Is there parking at the dock?
Yes, you may park your car at the public parking lot for $5 per day plus tax.
Can we rent a car in Puerto Rico and bring it to Vieques on the ferry?
If you have a rental car in Puerto Rico, check with the car rental company. Most car rental agencies will not allow you to take the car off the main island of Puerto Rico.